Hey, lovelies! I recently saw my friend Alexis do a video on her BookTube channel The Sloth Reader about her five favorite bookish tropes or buzzwords, and I loved it! I couldn’t resist doing it for my blog, and I hope you all go and give her and her channel some love, because she herself is nothing short of amazing and I love all her content!
Okay, so here are my five favorite bookish buzzwords or tropes and some of my favorite books that have those buzzwords or tropes:
Just please, give me all of the queer books, especially in fantasy! If I know a book has a queer main character I will be immediately ten times more likely to pick it up and/or request an ARC of it.
• The Armored Saint (The Sacred Throne #1) by Myke Cole
• The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth #1) by N.K. Jemisin
• Wild Beauty by Anna-Marie McLemore
• Black Iris by Elliot Wake
• The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black
Faeries is probably my favorite element of any book. Like, even my bio on my blog says how I am biased towards Faery books and I stand by that with my whole body and soul. Bonus points if the books have the Seelie and Unseelie courts!
• The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air #1) by Holly Black
• Robots vs. Fairies edited by Dominik Parisien & Navah Wolfe
• Darkfever (Fever #1) by Karen Marie Moning
• Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely #1) by Melissa Marr
• Shadowfell (Shadowfell #1) by Juliet Marillier
Ever since I was a wee little girl, way too young to even understand or appreciate The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, it sparked my love for books about inns and pubs! Most of my favorite books have at least one major scene take place in one, and I wish more stories took questlines through these types of establishments.
• The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle #1) by Patrick Rothfuss
• Traitor’s Blade (Greatcoats #1) by Sebastien de Castell
• Senlin Ascends (The Books of Babel #1) by Josiah Bancroft
• Crystal Storm (Falling Kingdoms #5) by Morgan Rhodes
• The Last Wish (The Witcher, #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski
➽ LOVE TRIANGLES
Yeah, I’m sick and my favorite trope is a good love triangle! Bonus points if it is queer! I just love some good angst, and nothing in this world can make a book angstier than a well done and painfully rewarding love triangle.
• Storm Born (Dark Swan #1) by Richelle Mead
• Shadow and Bone (Grisha Verse #1) by Leigh Bardugo
• Sex Love Repeat by Alessandra Torre
• The Opportunist (Love Me with Lies #1) by Tarryn Fisher
• Thoughtless (Thoughtless #1) by S.C. Stephens
➽ BOARDING SCHOOL SETTINGS
I mean, Harry Potter is why I’m the reader I am today. Every time I open up a Harry Potter book, it’s like coming home all over again. Magical schools, and just plain old boarding-schools, will always be something that I love and will also be something that I will never get enough of.
• Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (Harry Potter #1) by J.K. Rowling
• Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle #1) by Jay Kristoff
• Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1) by Richelle Mead
• Cracked (Soul Eaters #1) by Eliza Crewe
• Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children #1) by Seanan McGuire
And those are my shameless favorites! I hope you guys enjoyed it, and feel free to give me all the recommendations of your favorite books surrounding these tropes and/or buzzwords! Happy reading!